Wednesday 20 January 2010

Sheer Pink?

I wear black almost every day, I love black and was very happy with the likes of Balmain, Gareth Pugh and Hannah Marshall's AW09 being predominately BLACK. It was still going to be my staple colour for this summer but now I am not too sure...

It all started just before my 21st birthday last August, I wanted to look different, I wanted to look like the birthday girl. Browsing round covent garden looking for my birthday dress when I went into the vintage shop POP on Monmouth Street when I saw the most girly thing I had gasped at for years. The biggest cream petticoat ever! I had to have it and it was only £30 which was a bargain considering there a few places round Camden Market and Brick Lane selling them for £50 with not nearly the same dramatic impact.
I wore it as a strapless dress with a pink (which is the first time I had worn the colour in years) ribbon round the waist during the day for the barbecue on my roof, however I couldn't take looking like a birthday cake come evening so I changed into a black floor length lace vintage dress.








The weird face is because I got a fright when the champagne cork went off.











Then I saw the Topshop Unique SS10 show and fell in love with as ankle length vest dress which is sort of neon pastel. This is soooo unlike me, pink, blue, pastel and neon?! And I even want the blue chunky sandals that are modelled with the dress. I would buy it now but it doesn't get into stores until the week before fashion week boooo!




And it doesn't stop there a few nights ago I ordered blue lipstick from Barry M and there is this pink 50s dress with a full skirt that has been in the vintage shop I work at for ages and a few weeks ago I tried it on out of boredom and I love it! I cannot wait for the good weather to kick in so I can wear my sweet spring outfits.




















The S/S runways were full of ice-cream colour. from Christpher Kane's candyfloss pink gingham dresses (loving the visible bra feature on these dresses) to Louise Goldin's head to toe lemon sorbet outfit.
























February's Vogue issue has Natalia Vodianova on the cover in a lilac tulle frou-frou dress by Fendi. I think after a season of hard black, and angular shapes people are a bit fed up and want to feel the breeze of softer colours and shapes on their skin. Myself included, I am not fed up so to speak but I will be adopting a chic barbie meets The Virgin Suicides look on some spring days and I cannot wait, but there will always be room for SHEER BLACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment